Monday, November 16, 2009

Control: Print exhibit

This weekend, I went to see the Control: Print exhibit at Parsons since it deals with many of the same things my thesis does. From the exhibit catalogue:
Control Print is a collaborative exhibition between Parsons The New School for Design and the Royal College of Art (RCA), London. Featuring works by a number of notable artists and designers who play with the notion of technology, Control Print explores the fate of ink on paper in the digital age.
The books on display were definitely my favorite part of the exhibit, since I felt they did the most to actually put printed matter into the viewer's hands (and were the only place where there was significant information about the print vs. digital issue at length). All the books on display were accompanied by white gloves and a sign asking the viewer to wear the gloves and handle the books with care. While I understand the desire to keep the books fresh, I think this request took away some of the effect of the books, especially since texture was one of the issues explored. Overall, though, I was glad I went to see it, and there were some interesting pieces.

Following are some pictures I took at the exhibit.



















No comments: